8 ITEMS TO MAKE SUMMER TRAVEL WITH CHRONIC PAIN EASIER
- WHEELIE BAGS Backpacks, duffles and totes can strain your neck, shoulders and back. Bags with wheels that can go forward, backward and side-to-side can take make hauling luggage less exhausting.
- SUNGLASSES: Whether on a road trip or at the beach, bright sun can trigger migraines. Dark sunglasses can deflect those rays.
- COOLER: In addition to keeping medications that require refrigeration cold, consider also packing a cold compress or a cooling cloth to lower your body temperature in the hot summer weather.
- HYDRATION PRODUCTS: Dehydration can aggravate pain. Bring a sturdy, reusable water bottle, electrolyte drink tablets, and if you are going to an outdoor event, consider a hydration backpack for easy access to water.
- SUNSCREEN: Anyone being exposed to the sun for a prolonged period of time should wear sunscreen to protect their skin,but especially anyone who is taking medication that may cause increased sensitivity to the sun.
- EAR PLUGS/ EYE MASKS: Sleep is often a challenge with chronic pain, but especially when you are a passenger trying to nap in a car or plane, or staying in a hotel with noisy neighbors or unfamiliar sounds. Drown out the noise and the light with ear plugs and an eye mask to help you get your zzzz's.
- PACKING LIST: An organized, well thought out list will cut down on the stress and chance of forgetting something necessary. It's also a good idea to share your list with your caretaker or travel companion to make sure nothing has been missed. An easy way to share lists is using the app available on Wunderlist.com.
Click Here to Read More